Get Involved - Students
Imagine an entire generation, educated to live in a sustainable fashion, that changed the world forever. It is amazing what one person can influence, and you can be part of this movement at Oklahoma State University.
As students in a generation that is already starting to shape the future, you have the ability to change society, the economy and the environment in a sustainable way. Whether you are taking the first step toward being sustainable or are a veteran, getting involved is as easy as being responsible for yourself. Here are resources and tips to help on your journey to becoming sustainable.
Energy Conservation: As a part of the Cowboy family, you are both an “energy saver” as well as an “energy consumer.” There are simple steps you can take to be a bigger saver than spender when it comes to energy.
Reduce and Reuse: There are many simple ways to reduce consumption and when you can’t reduce, it is important to reuse resources you already have. Some of the most common fixes can happen in your living space, the classroom, and your transportation.
Recycle: Reduced and reused as much as you can? The next step in slowing the flow of your trash to the landfill is recycling.
- OSU has two community recycling programs. In the OSU Recycles program, all recyclable paper can be mixed together in the same bin. That's right, junk mail, white paper, colored paper, magazines, file folders, even soft-cover books and telephone books!
- Please no food or food soiled paper in the bins. This stuff is sorted by hand. Human hands.
- Here is information on how to recycle paper and cardboard, plastic, metal and other recycling at OSU-Stillwater.
- The ResLife Recycles program is just for campus residents - those of you who live on campus. Learn more about ResLife Recycles.
- For off-campus recycling and reuse centers in town, take a look at the Stillwater Recycling Guide produced by Sustainable Stillwater.
- If you live off campus and are served by the City of Stillwater’s Curbside Single-Stream Recycling Program, click here for information.
Student Seth Smart recycling on campus.
Career: OSU provides classroom education and research on sustainability and sustainable development topics.
Organizations: OSU offers a diverse and passionate community of students who are involved with sustainability.
- Join these great groups that are making a difference on campus and in the world today!
- Here's a description of some of the green groups.
- Apply for a Green Student Initiative organized by the SGA Sustainability Committee.
Contact us about running with one or more of these project ideas!
- Water Bottle Refill Stations - count the number of bottles diverted from the landfill by logging data from the LED display on each unit. Determine how much money and natural resources were saved as a result. Work with the Sustainability Office to publicize this waste diversion by building, department and/or college on campus.
- Outdoor Lighting Project - help energy managers determine what outdoor lights are staying on when they should be off.
- Surveys - develop surveys for us! We are interested in resource and energy conservation attitudes, knowledge, and behavior.
- Waste Audits - work with us and your advisor to organize a campus waste stream analysis project.
- Food Waste Audits - ask us about the USDA/EPA Guide to Conducting Student Food Waste Audits
- Recycle Sorting - volunteer on the sorting line at the local Materials Recovery Facility that processes OSU's res hall recycling.
- Close the Loop - investigate whether OSU departments purchase copy paper with recycled content.
- The Bus - coordinate a "Try Transit" week to promote riding the bus.
- Recycle Outreach - we'll train you on how to train others to recycle right on campus.
- Book Drive - collect books at the end of semester for Better World Books.
- Eco-Rep - train your peers on conserving resources and energy in the res halls (limited to res hall residents).
- Energy Leadership Award - earn one for your club or department: https://energy.okstate.edu/energy-leadership
Green Team - develop a Green Team for your department with our help.
SGA Sustainability Committee
Engineers Without Borders
Environmental Science Club
OKState Sierra Club
Society of Environmental Scientists
Other Ways to get Involved
Oklahoma Recycling Association