Quick Tips for Sustainability
Sustainability at Oklahoma State University starts with our students, faculty, and staff. It doesn't take a big step to make an impact, either. A few small steps from each of us is a large step for all of us. Think about your impact and get involved.
The easiest step we can each take to reduce our impact on the environment and protect our planet is to reduce our consumption and reuse what we already have. Read on for more suggestions of things that you can do to lessen your impact on the planet!
- Walk, ride a bike, carpool, or take a bus.
- Carry a reusable bag for purchases, preferably one you already have.
- Choose products with little or no packaging. Think fresh over packaged food.
- Buy products made with recycled content.
- Recycle items that you cannot reuse.
- Repair leaky faucets and shower heads.
- Rent, borrow, share or buy used instead of new.
Student Jack Heinen looking for a good Student Shay refilling her reusable
read in Cafe Libro in Edmond-Low water bottle in the Classroom Building
- Purchase durable rather than disposable goods. Start by refilling a reusable water bottle.
- Manage your thermostat if you have control. Check out these temperature guidelines.
- Close blinds and angle them upward.
- Wash only full loads of laundry. Wash them with cold water.
- Purchase locally-produced foods and goods.
- Think before printing. Double-side your copy and print jobs.
- Take only what you will eat, and eat your leftovers when you have them.
- Turn off lights and unplug electronics and charging cords when not in use.
Want information on other ways that you can live sustainably? Click here for more tips!